New 2020 extended '14 day' PDC
(7 weekends absorbed over 3 months)
6x Guest teachers
3x offsite Permaculture farm visits
Loads of Demonstration
Hands on Learning
March - 7th & 8th, 21st & 22nd,
April - 4th & 5th, 18th & 19th,
May – 2nd & 3rd, 16th & 17th, 30th & 31st
A Limestone Permaculture Design Certificate course offers
real time examples of a transitioning sustainable living system
on a successful working permaculture principled homestead!
This is the backdrop for your PDC learning experience.
Our course emulates the Mollison / Morrow / Holmgren curriculum and covers a wide variety of landscapes and climates & includes the application of Permaculture Principles to food production, water harvesting, home design, construction, energy conservation/generation, income from homestead and provides strategies supporting Permaculture Solutions.
It is an expectation that you will finish the course with a property 'Concept' design of your
very own to get you started on your Permaculture Journey!!
Venue: Limestone Permaculture Farm > 846 The Bucketts Way, STROUD ROAD. NSW 2415
Includes: - Earth User's Guide to Permaculture (2nd Edition) by Rosemary Morrow
- Seasonally inspried Gourmet Morning tea & lunch .
- Learning onsite at Limestone Permaculture Demonstration Farm.
- Experienced guest teachers and working Permaculture Farm site visits.
- Your very own permaculture property concept design
Cost: 2020 Course fee - $2400
Deposit: $500 initial deposit upon registration (Balance paid using Bank Transfer by 21st Feb 2020)
If you need to establish a payment plan to pay the course fee by installments over the period leading up to the PDC, please contact us at We are happy to facilitate this, but ask you to set up this plan prior to the course, so that the full fee is paid by the time the PDC commences.
Our PDC will be taught at Limestone Farm, (Stroud Road Village, NSW) with Guest teachers & Visits to various locations of interest during the course.
Limestone Farm is a working small acre Permaculture demonstration site which provides solid examples of working Permaculture Principles and ensures this course makes for a very rich experience and one not to be missed...!
Specific topics include:
* Permaculture & it's history
* The Ethics & Principles of Permaculture
* The Concepts & Process of Design
* Understanding 'Resources & Yields'
* Intensive Plant Guilds, Plant Stacking, Diversity & Successive systems
* Patterns & their value in Permaculture
* Climatic Factors & their impacts on the landscape.
* Basics of Ecology, Energies & Flow
* Water & water harvesting
* Soils - Health, Aliveness, Erosion & Regeneration
* Weed Ecology - indicators & accumulators
* Trees and their Energy Interaction within the Ecosystem.
* Earth Working and Earth Resources
* Designing for Different Climates - Humid, Temperate and Arid
* Aquaculture & Aquaponics
* Strategies for Sustainable Communities
* Appropriate Technology
Whilst the Permaculture Design Certificate is the minimum requirement to work professionally in Permaculture as a designer or consultant, teach Permaculture or do Permaculture work abroad, it is also an important learning curve for designing your very own Urban & Rural Homestead, Community Garden, School Garden and areas that are sustainable, productive, eco-friendly, organic, healthy and low maintenance.
Undertaking a Permaculture Design Certificate with Limestone Permaculture has many benefits:
1/ Economical - generally a full design (snapshot in time) that is customised for you, including site consultation, plant agenda, site sector analysis, animal management information, etc can set you back at least $3000 (this is basically giving you a 'fish'), however undertaking a 14 day PDC over our protracted three month course (7 weekends) enables you to understand the 'WHY & HOW' of Permaculture Design allowing you to design your property & evolve this design as changes occur. (teaching you 'How to Fish')
You will be backed by the support of Limestone Permaculture educators, your student group and the PDC group Facebook page we create for each class, even after the course has finished!
2/ Slowed & absorbed Learning - Our protracted PDC offers more time to absorb and test what you have learnt each weekend on your own farm & garden. It allows time to for you to observe seasonal changes & experience weather events to then understand how permaculture can be integrated to harness or protect from these changes & events.
3/ Experience & Knowledge - our PDC course provide 'hands on' experience with demonstrations, workshops & farm tours at Limestone Permaculture Farm, Yeo Farm & Misty Ridge Permaculture Farm along with our supporting guest teachers!
By the end of our Limestone PDC, you will be able to:
- Understand the permaculture concept, appreciate & integrated permaculture ethics and principles into your daily life.
- Create an accurate base map of any site
- Complete a Site Assessment using information obtained from local weather sites, bio-regional information, land form maps, access, local government, local ecology information and soil testing.
- Complete a thorough Site Sector Analysis taking into account the energies that enter & exit the property like wind, sun, water, frost, wildlife, views good & bad, noise, micro-climates & aesthetics
- Analyse a properties strength & weakness, its potential resources, boundaries and its limiting factors.
- Understand & create functional connections between elements (components) of your design to reduce labour and eliminate waste.
- Utilise natural patterns from our ecosystems to achieve harmony & beauty within your property & thus aligning with nature.
- Understand how to design for different climatic conditions and adapt to future climate change.
- Understand how to design abundance & build a natural ecology into your property.
- Understand how to design water into your landscape for water harvesting & drought-proofing
- Understand & build living & healthy soils by enhancing the soil food web with biological diversity
- Harness the power of trees to modify climate, build habitat and produce food with a minimum effort
- Understand the strengths and weakness of using each food producing ecosystem
- Use annual gardens to produce food quickly and reliably
- Understand how to design stable, abundant forest gardens / food forests
- Understand how to design & manage animals into your properties ecosystem.
- Understand how to use aquaculture and aquaponics to further enhance your designs
- Utilise appropriate technology for homestead comfort, power generation, energy efficiency, food preservation and much more.
- Implement the permaculture design process on your property and projects within your community.
- Assist your local community (schools, events etc) through your understanding of permaculture design
80% attendance & submission of all design assignments are required to complete this PDC.
Your PDC Teacher
Brett Cooper - Limestone Permaculture
Brett has over 17 years experience in Permaculture Principled Practice and Demonstration, the first 7 years spent as an Urban Permaculurist in Newcastle NSW & the last 10 years on their rural permaculture homestead > Limestone Farm.
Brett has a Cert IV in Permaculture through the Riverina TAFE, undertaken an Advanced Design Process Course with David Holmgren & Dan Palmer, is a Carpenter & Joiner by trade, has years of experience in Building & Landscaping, carries Diplomas in Project Management & Business Management, is certified by Permaculture Research Institute for his PDC undertaken with Allyn River Permaculture and has been an avid gardener for over 35 years.
In the past, Brett has been a director on the Gloucester Food Hub, coordinator for the Mayfield Community Gardens, manager for the Stroud Growers Market and Chief Steward of the ‘Produce Pavilion’ at the Stroud NSW Show.
The course curriculum is a combination of:
Permaculture: A Designers’ Manual by Bill Mollison”
Earth User's Guide to Permaculture (2nd Edition) by Rosemary Morrow > supplied with course
Retrosuburbia by David Holmgren
"All of which are recommended reading."
On completion of the course, students will be presented with a PDC graduate certificate